[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Windows client in Terminal server/Citrix

Rodney M. Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 07 Mar 2008 02:13:14 -0500

At 09:06 PM 3/6/2008, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>The problem Chris is seeing is with almost 99.9999% certainty the CIFS
>client disconnecting from the AFS SMB server due to fluctuations in the
>response times between its Write Data requests.  The 1.5.33 client
>addresses the issue that Chris is describing by rate limiting the
>cache as fast as we can and sending a response back to the SMB client we
>force the SMB client request to block every N bytes written where N is a
>number smaller than the maximum chunk size.  This behavior is controlled
>by the EnableSMBAsyncStore and SMBAsyncStoreSize registry values as
>documented in the Release Notes.

These new registry options cause concern for me, as well as "other"
registry options that are sprinkled about.  When a person downloads the
client to install, the "default" options of all registry values and AFS
client settings should be set to whatever is the most "safe", not whatever
is "fast but might occasionally fail".  If the client fails for my users
out of the box, neither our help desk, not I have time to sit and diagnose
whether a particular clients are having the issue you mention.  As I read
the release document, the registry option you mention does seem to be set
to "safe", so in that case when would I ever change it as an
administrator?  What I'm really asking here is what is the point of the
option if the default is "safe" already?

Rodney