[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Visual Studio Solution

Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:07:53 -0700

Mickey Lane wrote:
=> My goals with this project are as follows, in order:

> 1. Provide a source browsing environment

This seems like a lot of work for a source browsing environment.
There are many source browsing tools available that you can simply
point at the AFSROOT/src and they will do the right thing.

> 2. Build selected components with debug/development code to run in
>    conjunction with the 'official' release.

You can do this already with the nmake build system.  You can build
a full checked build in parallel and substitute the binaries that
you need.  Of course be careful with anything that touches afsrpc.dll
because not all XDR memory allocations are currently performed with
xdr_alloc and xdr_free.

One feature I want to add to the nmake build system is an "update"
rule that will in place install binaries and register them for
replacement on the next reboot so that developers do not need to
run installers to replace a single binary.

> 3. Build everything and prove the client functions in the same
>    manner as the official release. Support 32 & 64-bits, debug &
>    release (checked or free if you prefer).

This doesn't sound like a goal but a requirement if you want to satisfy
goal 4.

> 4. Have the solution produce .msi files and be a replacement for the
>    existing process (or at least an alternative).

It would take quite a lot of convincing to have this become a
replacement.  If that is the eventual goal you should explain why this
is important so it can be discussed now.  Otherwise, you will be putting
in a lot of effort for nothing.

Jeffrey Altman