[OpenAFS-port-darwin] configuring openafs under MacOS 10

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:45:20 -0400

At 2:41 PM -0400 6/11/01, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 9:40 AM -0700 6/11/01, Shantonu Sen wrote:
>>3) Store the full CellServDB in CellServDB-format as
>>    "/var/db/openafs/etc/CellServDB.full". This will include
>>    both active and inactive cells, and the inactive ones can
>>    be determined by seeing what *doesn't* exist in the
>>    "/var/db/openafs/etc/CellServDB".
>
>I would do something along these lines.  Have a configuration
>setting which says *which* cells should be added at system
>startup, and then something else which can be used to parse
>the "CellServDB.full" file and execute 'fs newcell' commands
>to bring up cells on the fly as the user requests them.
>
>I have a rough setup using a perl script that I use for my
>own purposes, but it isn't quite "user-friendly" yet...

As I mentioned on one of the other openafs lists, this perl
script is now available for anyone curious about it.  It
assumes that the "full" CellServDB is in 'CellServDB.orig'.
I suspect that many people have written somewhat similar
scripts, although maybe they haven't had the same ideas in
mind as I did when writing this.

I originally intended to have this script also CREATE the
"trimmed-down client CellServDB", but I haven't done that
yet.  It's always been easier to get the initial DB by just
copying a real one and deleting the lines I didn't care about.

If you change the script so the 'is_domain' and 'isin_domain'
arrays were initialized from $ENV, then it could be readily
used as a generic automatic script.  Maybe run it once a day,
to recreate the "trimmed down DB" and refresh the cell-info
for any cells in that list which had changed since the previous
run.  Then add some way for users to see what cells they might
want to add, and a privileged process to add them.  I already
know basically what I want to change in this script to make
all that possible, I just haven't had a big need to do it yet.

Let me know if people would be interested in seeing me add
these things.  I hope to get openafs or ARLA up on my freebsd
boxes soon, and between that and openAFS for MacOS 10, I'll
have a lot more reason to work on these ideas.

Anyway, it's available at:

   ftp://freefour.acs.rpi.edu/pub/openafs/reset_afs_cells

It assumes perl is in /usr/bin/perl, because that's where it
is on MacOS 10...