[OpenAFS-port-darwin] access right problem from Finder

Magnus Ahltorp ahltorp@nada.kth.se
09 Aug 2002 18:48:20 +0200

> > However, from the Finder or from any program using
> > the graphical interface to open/save files, I have only the access rights
> > of "others" to my files.
> This is expected behavior when your AFS pts id and your Mac OS uid are
> not the same. The Carbon libraries use information from stat() to make
> access control decisions that they have no buisiness making in the
> first place.
>
> This has been discussed before. Unless and until apple switches from
> the stat(2) method to the access(2) method of determining effective
> permissions, the only workaround is to synchronize uids.

Apple implementing access(2) is of course the correct solution. In
Arla, we have implemented another workaround that fakes the mode bits
according to your permissons.

Unfortunately, it isn't a complete workaround to synchronize uids,
since it won't work for files that you have access to, but don't own.

/Magnus