[OpenAFS-port-darwin] disktool -r in OpenAFS StartupItems script

John C. Welch jwelch@bynkii.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:11:15 -0400

On 04/22/2003 19:04, "Steve Lidie" <sol0@Lehigh.EDU> wrote:

> Ditto on the thanks to Alexei.  As well, many thanks to Ragnar Sundblad
> for his Kerberos plugin - they've both spent many hours helping me
> debug my Kerberos ticket -> AFS token problem.  John, thanks for your
> summary.

Hey,  glad my dementia was of use!

> I, too, have created a PowerMac OS X 10.2.5 image that uses Kerberos
> authentication and AFS home directories.  I've taken a slightly
> different tack and used Directory Services tied to our LDAP (v2) server
> so that a user's home directory is automatically mapped to AFS-land -
> no local account required. That parallels how we've dealt with previous
> AIX and IRIX operating systems, where NIS specifies home directories in
> AFS space. So, at Lehigh, every Unix-based machine does krb
> authentication and uses a consistent home directory.

This was actually the way we initially did it. But the client-only version
was faster to document.

> I wasn't aware that anyone else was using AFS as a home directory, so
> I'd like to hear all war stories.  I can say that IE's default cache
> size of 10 MB can cause login to fail if you only have a 10 MB quota.
> I can verify that you'd better have indexed you LDAP data or logins
> will do a sequential lookup of uidNumber/gidNumer/NSFHomeDirectory, and
> delay login for a long time (;

MIT just went over the 100MB mark for AFS locker space, so that's less of a
worry for us. But heavy E'rage POP users are going to be sad puppies rather
fast.

john

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com             Mac and other opinions