[OpenAFS-port-darwin] disktool -r in OpenAFS StartupItems script

Bruce Carter bcarter@nd.edu
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:48:13 -0500

Greetings all,

I've downloaded the documents referenced in this thread and will be
reading through them with interest.  We also are using AFS for remote
home directories without the intervention of a Mac OS X server.  Our
main issue right now is that whenever anyone with a remote home
directory in AFS tries to mount an AppleShare volume (SMB and WebDAV
work fine) the Finder crashes and reloads at the point where the volume
list would normally appear (after entering your user name and
password).  Our Apple SE is working with Apple Engineering on this, and
I've sent them several logs and dumps.  Anybody else see anything like
this?  It happens on all of our Mac OS X pilot machines.  I even
rebuilt one from scratch to see if that would help and it still did it.

We're authenticating remotely (no local accounts except 1 admin for
maintenance and 1 local user for if the network is hosed so people can
still do stuff locally) and pulling the home directory location from an
iPlanet LDAP 3 server, and we are also using the Amazing Alexei's aklog
plug-in.  Alexei has also been kind enough to engage in some bonehead
level (on my end) email exchanges to help get us going.  We get tickets
and tokens and everything works fairly well (I still have to get the
ByHosts fix into our loginhook script, as well as adding the disktool
trick mentioned here and a few other duct tape issues) except for that
darn Finder crash.

We did build the indexes mentioned below, and that helped greatly with
the login speed.  It looks like we may need to increase the default AFS
quota as well since some of the students are starting to hit the wall
with that.

--
Bruce Carter, ACTC, MacCSE, MCP              http://www.nd.edu/~bcarter/
Senior Educational Technologist                    mailto:bcarter@nd.edu