[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Questions regarding 1.2.9 withc patches

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:54:57 +0200

Hi,

for a little more than a month I've been using this patched AFS package:=20
<http://cf.ccmr.cornell.edu/publicdownloads/afs/OpenAFS.pkg.tar.gz>

For the most part everything is fine, but I've noticed certain aspects that =

I'd like to understand better.

The biggest problem I noticed today when I brought my Mac to a dealer to=20
get an exchange for my broken DVD drive. I wasn't able to login! Is it=20
correct that login fails if no AFS server can be reached, even though all=20
passwords are local? Even when I'm connected I notice a delay before=20
authentication is successful.

Then there's the issue that I'm using a local account with a local UID on=20
my Mac. When accessing AFS I get myself a token for another username. But=20
there's an AFS user with the same UID I am using locally and it's *that*=20
user I see as owner when I check ownership in the Finder. The Terminal=20
shows the local user instead ...

Are these effects to be expected? Am I doing something stupid?

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Geb=E4ude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK