[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Resource / Data Forks

Joseph Jackson jackson@CMU.EDU
Tue, 20 May 2003 10:21:32 -0400

At Carnegie Mellon, our undergraduate student labs have user home
directories on the local disk with parts kept in AFS. Specifically, we put
all of ~/Library into AFS and also create a convenience link called
~/MyAFS. You can get a reasonable overview on this web site:

	http://www.cmu.edu/computing/project/macosx/

If you want to get a preview of how AFS handles the resource forks, just
format a spare partition as UFS. That's the traditional file system of UNIX
systems. Mac OS X handles dual forked files pretty much the same on all
non-HFS file systems. I've been pleasantly surprised how smoothly it all
works.

Joe Jackson,
Computing Services,
Carnegie Mellon University.