[OpenAFS-port-darwin] mount_afs q's

Alexei Kosut akosut@cs.stanford.edu
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:33:56 -0800

On Nov 4, 2003, at 10:25 AM, David Botsch wrote:
> Then, went to figure out how to use mount_afs to mount afs (we have
> -dynroot -afsdb -fakestat also as afsd options). Anyway, I ended up
> using:
> mount_afs root.afs /Network/afs
> which did work (yay!)
>
> However, I noticed that a lot of cells not listed in my CellServDB
> (though, are in a file called CellServDB.master) were suddenly in /afs
> Also, a "cell" for our dns name (ccmr.cornell.edu) was listed whose
> contents seem to be the same as our cell, which is msc.cornell.edu
> (probably afsdb weirdness).

This is because "root.afs" is not the same as the root of AFS.
Confusing, huh?  You normally use -dynroot, which generates its own AFS
root.  What you're seeing when you mount "root.afs" is the contents of
the actual "root.afs" volume on your local AFS cell.  This is what
you'd see if you didn't use -dynroot.

So this is expected behavior.  If you want to mount what you would
normally see in /afs, use:

mount_afs "" /Network/afs

The empty string parameter to the mount command tells OpenAFS to use
its regular root, which in your case is the dynamically-generated one.

Alexei