[OpenAFS-port-darwin] multi-homed ip addresses

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:27:53 -0500

The problem is this sharing thing, most likely.

You'll need to do one of three things:
1. Don't use it and connect your computer directly to the Internet.
2. Adjust the UDP timeout settings (if it will let you do such a thing).
3. Set up port UDP 7001 to port forward to your computer on port UDP 7001.

The problem is usually this:
connections from the servers come back to you on udp 7001. So, if you're
actively doing stuff, fine, no problem. Eventually, though, if you sit idle,
the connection times out on the firewall (on a linux firewall box, the default
is something like 30 seconds... not a lot of time). So, then, the server tries
to talk to your client and it cannot. So, it marks your client as down.

What I do not understand is why when you do try to reconnect, the afs servers
don't mark your client as being back up. Whether that is a bug or a feature (I
haven't tested to see if problem still exists in the current version of
OpenAFS), I do not know.

Maybe ARLA did something to ensure that the firewall port stayed open. Dunno.
But, anyway, option 3 may be the easiest to implement (though, you may have to
get server admins to bos restart the servers for them to clear out their list
showing your client as being down). Or, just kick your firewall box and get it
to obtain a different IP address.