[OpenAFS-port-darwin] anyone want to work on the installer?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:12:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, David Botsch wrote:

> I'm willing to modify my gui config utility to do something like that with
> the options (at present, it just presents a box where one types in the
> options and that text is copied into the afsd.options file).
>
> I can see two scenarios, actually:
> 1. put each option in with a check to enable or disable (and a box afterwards
> to specify things like -volumes 70 or whatever)
> 2. have basically 3 checkboxes
> 	a. desktop use
> 	b. laptop use
> 	c. dynamic root

actually, an "advanced" tab letting you optimize it (sending you to 1) or
letting people use the simple method (2) might be cool, but i don't know
how much work that is.

> the difference between a and b being the use of -nomount
>
> I would also argue the startup script should be modified for laptops (we do
> this here) so that afs always starts regardless of whether or not the network
> is up. With -nomount, afs won't freeze the computer upon login.

I have no meaningful comment here, but,

> And, once a
> valid network connection is setup, a user can just run the commandline or gui
> MountAFS (gui available from our website ... and the gui does work under
> Jaguar and Panther) to get to afs (plus use the gui to get afs tokens - also
> works under jaguar and panther).

In this case I think I'd rather install something which notices the
network is up or down and deals accordingly. I just haven't figured out
how to get notification of such yet... mostly due to not having time to
look.