[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Many kernel panics on OSX 10.3.6

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:46:37 +0100

--==========97F8C5DA391A4A519B96==========

Hi,

--On Sonntag, 5. Dezember 2004 20:29:41 Uhr MEZ +0100 Alan Drew=20
<alan.drew@psi.ch> wrote:

> I have seen a number of posts in the archives related to kernel
> panics/OpenAFS/10.3.x, and alas after installing OpenAFS 1.2.13  from
> binaries, many kernel panics are present. I chose "stable" because I am a
> relative newbie and always worry when software is not labelled "stable".
> Going from a system that has never crashed to 3 or 4 kernel panics / day
> (when running afsd), I am thinking this is route of my worries. I have a
> number of entries in the panic.log (pasted below), all of which refer to
> having afsd running. The last such entry in the list (Sun Dec  5 19:42:33
> 2004) is when I was saving a text file accross onto my afs home directory
> (I was editing a C++ file from the afs directory using ProjectBuilder).
> The other, I can not remember what I was doing at the time, other than
> the afs directory was mounted.
>
> Is it worth me compiling/installing the latest (unstable for *nix?)
> release? Please be gentle - like I said, I am a newbie.
> Thanks in advance.

AFAIK there are no Mac-specific improvements in the 1.3 train. You may try=20
tweaking your afsd options. Following Derrick Brashear's advice I now have=20
the following in /private/var/db/openafs/etc/config/afsd.options:

-fakestat-all -stat 3000 -dcache 2500 -daemons 5 -volumes 128 -chunksize 18

With that I don't have many kernel panics anymore, but note that I don't=20
use an AFS home directory. Still, it has been a marked improvement over the =

default.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Geb=C3=A4ude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum f=C3=BCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=C3=A4tsweiter Service =

--==========97F8C5DA391A4A519B96==========--