[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Unix permission bits

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:26:27 +0100

--==========1902CE7D1413346A17D9==========

Hi,

--On Montag, 2. Februar 2004 22:36 Uhr -0800 Chuck Boeheim=20
<boeheim@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> We've just started looking at supporting macosx, and running afs on it.
> Running openafs 1.2.10 on macosx 10.3, I observe that the unix permission
> bits look quite different than they do on other platforms.  I found some
> of
> the references to the 'permission patch', so it seems that this is
> deliberate, but
> I hadn't yet found a discussion about why this was a desireable thing to
> do.

the GUI apps can't handle the AFS bits, so e.g. the Finder won't allow you=20
to open directories for which you have AFS permissions.

> We have some system maintenance appliations that copy config files,
> applications,
> etc from AFS space to the local disk.  They depend on replicating the
> permission
> bits from AFS to the local copy, which of course breaks with this
> behavior. We end up with applications and config files being world
> writable this way.
> We trust our users, but not that much!  Is there a way to configure this
> behavior
> or otherwise get at the true bits stored in AFS?

Check out /private/var/db/openafs/etc/config/settings.plist. You need to=20
run /private/var/db/openafs/etc/config/afssettings after you've made a=20
change.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Geb=E4ude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK

--==========1902CE7D1413346A17D9==========--