[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Steve Lidie sol0@Lehigh.EDU
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:48:30 -0500

On Feb 5, 2004, at 4:43 PM, David Chaney wrote:

> Steve,
>
> My personal experience after testing 10.3.x Panther for the last
> several months is that without OpenAFS installed it is "rock solid and
> extremely stable".  In fact, outside of the the very serious OpenAFS
> issue, Mac OS X 10.3.x is one of the most stable and out of box
> securest operating systems I've used.  Light years above various
> versions of Windows, slightly better than Linux, but not quite to the
> level of Solaris.  As far as ease of use and general enjoyment it's
> the best so far.

Well, the main difference between my home dual G4 and work dual G5
would be AFS on the G5. I've never seen a panic on the G4, but since 15
Dec I've had 13 kernel panics on the G5:

[lusol@Dragonfly:/Library/Logs] grep '\*\*\*\*\*' panic.log |wc
       13      13     130

Nine of which have been "vnreclaim":

[lusol@Dragonfly:/Library/Logs] grep vnreclaim panic.log |wc
        9      36     324

Two highlight afsd:

[lusol@Dragonfly:/Library/Logs] grep afs panic.log
panic(cpu 0): Increase -stat parameter of afsd(VLRU cycle?)
          org.openafs.filesystems.afs(1.2.10)@0x29f57000
panic(cpu 0): Increase -stat parameter of afsd(VLRU cycle?)
          org.openafs.filesystems.afs(1.2.10)@0x28ecb000

In the above, I was copying/duplicating large amounts of AFS data
(Matlab). As a result I created an afsd.options file patterned after
the OpenAFS startup script:

[lusol@Dragonfly:/Library/Logs] cat
/var/db/openafs/etc/config/afsd.options
-stat 2800 -dcache 2400 -daemons 5 -volumes 128 -fakestat

But what do I know.

Thanks,
Steve