[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Ragnar Sundblad ragge@nada.kth.se
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:25:15 +0100

--On den 6 februari 2004 19:40 +0100 Massimo Marino
<Massimo_Marino@lbl.gov> wrote:

> First: I am not flaming but it might be important to know for people in
> charge that it is not AFS per se: I use Arla with OS X 10.3 and the
> system is as solid as it could be. Never had a single kernel panic in two
> years now and AFS is on daily.

I sure don't want to flame anyone either, but I have to say that
this is my experience too. We have been using Arla since 10.0,
and very seldom have panics, and I have never seen one that
I couldn't relate to something else (maybe in combination with
arla, it was for example before very easy to trig a panic by
fooling around with mounting urls with the command line tools,
I never tried it without arla).

We are now testing OpenAFS with 10.3, since we felt that there
is currently more programming effort going into OpenAFS than
Arla (maybe not on Mac OS X, though), but I think it is far
to unstable to be useful. A minute ago I crashed my machine
just with a find in a directory in my home directory
(which is in afs).

These bugs are hopefully easy to smash, OpenAFS works very well
on many other operating systems, but is there anyone working on it?

Sadly I don't know enough about unix filesystems and and unix
virtual memory to easily get going myself.

/ragge