[OpenAFS-port-darwin] My Ramblings was--Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3 - MP problem?

Gedaliah Wolosh gwolosh@njit.edu
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:12:50 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, the 24th of Sh'vat, 5764 (02/16/2004) Shantonu Sen wrote:

> You didn't upset me at all. I just am trying to present a balanced
> perspective on this situation. I've seen several posts to this list of
> the
> form "Apple really needs to fix this or else...", when I think a more
> accurate
> description of the issue is "OpenAFS.org brought this code to Mac OS X,
> and
> it being broken is really preventing a lot of people from using it ".
> One version directs the blame at Apple, which I think is unjust in some
> ways,
> and the other acknowledges that there is(are) a problem(s), and
> solutions don't just fall from the sky.

As I was the one who suggested that the onus is on Apple, I would like
to clarify my opinion.  Firstly, I do not blame Apple for this problem,
nor do I blame openafs.  Stuff like this happens all of the time.  The
goal here is to get it fixed.  As it stands, because of this issue, I
can't upgrade my Mac hardware, I can't upgrade my OS, and I can't
upgrade AFS.  This is an untenable situation.

When the Mac sales representative calls me and asks what will it take to
get more Macs in the university, my answer is fix the problem. I already
mentioned to our rep that I was unhappy with AFS integration with Mac OS
X.

The reason I can take this position is that Mac doesn't do anything that
another OS can't do for our university.  All of the software that our
university runs, can run well on another *nix or on Windows.

This is NOT to say that I don't want or prefer Mac OS X. In fact I do.
It is my present OS of choice and I would like to see hundreds of G5s in
our labs.  But right now, as the situation stands, there is no way I
can recommend it.

> P.S. This is my personal opinion, and not necessarily those of my
> employer, Apple Computer.

I am very glad to see that Apple employees monitor this list.

--Gedaliah