[OpenAFS-port-darwin] mv issues with panther and 1.2.10a ?

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:55:44 -0500

-On Thursday, January 08, 2004 13:08:31 -0500 Jason Young
<itecs-openafs@engr.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> --On Wednesday, January 7, 2004 4:45 PM -0500 Everette Gray Allen
> <Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I can consistently hang my G4 and G5 machines (have not tried G3) when
>> OpenAFS 1.2.10a is installed by doing:
>> cd /afs/wherever
>> mv ./anyfilesizedoesnotmatter /tmp
>>
>> anyone else seeing this problem?

It appears that the generic filesystem code in darwin does not detect
attempts to move a file across filesystem types. (at least, this is the
case for the xnu code I have lying around from almost a year ago; my
anoncvs access was lost when apple moved to using ADC accounts for APSL
registration, and I can't make it work anymore....)

I guess afs needs to do cross-device link/rename detection sooner than it
does on all the bsd platforms.

I would claim that this belongs in the generic filesystem code, but the
other bsd platforms do it the same way as darwin...