[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Status?

Steve Lidie sol0@Lehigh.EDU
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:36:36 -0400

On Jun 22, 2004, at 4:00 AM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> --On Freitag, 18. Juni 2004 3:53 Uhr -0400 Derrick J Brashear
> <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
>
>> Still not the final version.
>>
>> /afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/shadow/macos-afs-kext-20040617
>
> For me this has been running stable for 4 days

And it has been running over 24 hours for me - that was impossible
before 0617.

> ... I'm not using AFS home directories, however.

The above reference to AFS home directories has jogged my memory -
there's an AFS option particular to Mac OS X called RealModes, in the
file

/var/db/oenafs/etc/config/settings.plist

There was a discussion on this in the past, the particulars of which I
do not recall. There was an argument to change the default value of
FALSE (do not use the real Unix permission bits) to TRUE.  I tried it
but found that the Finder actions became "odd".  For instance, if you
click a Safari link to download, say, a gzipped tar file, you end up
with two "invisible icons" - one .gz file and one folder from the
unstuff operation.  You can see the names but there are no icons.

Just FYI.

Steve