[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Different kernel panic that's probably AFS-related

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 03:16:59 -0500 (EST)

Sadly for reasons unrelated to OpenAFS (including when it's neither
running nor loaded) my laptop seems to have become unreliable in the last
72 hours, I've a gotten a dozen hard hangs accompanied several times by
3 beeps (and 3 blinks) when I try to power it back on after powering it
off; I suspect the motherboard but of course sending it in for repairs
means being without a laptop for multiple days, which is basically not
workable now. So I'm doing all the testing on my desktop, which I will be
away from starting tomorrow.

But finally I can crash it, so at least I made progress.

> We have seen that crashes are much more frequent when the finder or
> other Carbon applications are involved.
>
> One way to trigger the problem is to rename files in the finder. After I
> have renamed a few files in the finder and then try to have those vnodes
> reused (for instance by running find / -type f -xdev) I am likely to
> have a crash. This crash is normaly the vnreclaim crash). I can also
> trigger a crash by doing the above, and then try to rename a file again
> in the finder. This usualy causes the Data access crash. It's not a
> fool-proof recepie, but it's something.

find / -type f -xdev takes a while; I had to ^C it before a rename then
triggered the bug, after it'd run for a while.