[OpenAFS-port-darwin] reproducable kernelpanics

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:02:27 +0100

On Jan 26, 2005, at 2:07 AM, Jan Dreyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote this in August last year:
>
> - --- snipp ---
> I'm getting Kernel-Panics when saving my documents. What I did exactly:
> 1. Installed Panther on a separate Partition of my 17" Powerbook (1.25
> GHz, 512 MB)
> 2. Installed all Updates
> 3. Installed OpenAFS-Package from
>
> http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.2.11/macos-10.3/OpenAFS.pkg.tar.gz
> 4. Installed aklog
> 5. Reboot
> 6. Getting KRB5-Ticket with kinit -f
> 7. Getting AFS-Token with aklog
> 8. Opening a File in my AFS-Tree, say, an HTML-File with any
> GUI-Editor (Subethaedit p. ex.).
> 9. Making some bigger changes (Replacing some lines) in the file.
> 10. Saving
> ==> Boom :-(
> - --- snapp ---
>
> I still (or better: again!) have this behaviour :-(
> I also found that some python-scripts, which are working in the AFS
> can produce a panic.
>
> Anyone here who uses AFS on her/his (Power|i)Book frequently on often
> changing places (home, work, Ethernet, Wireless) with less or none
> problems? Please give me some hope for a working installation ...

I do ...
I don't care very much for versions or install packages 'cause I always
build OpenAFS by myself.
The version from CVS works fine for me and worked for quite some time
now. (which means I check out once in a while and build)
I use my PowerBook very often and transfer a lot of data from and
towards AFS.

The only thing I really have to set as a parameter for afsd is "-stat
10000". I had some crashes with smaller numbers but that's about it...

Horst