[OpenAFS-port-darwin] UM Math: AFS crash

Jeff Kopmanis kopmanis@umich.edu
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:14:54 -0500

We're using OpenAFS 1.4 RC1 on MacOSX 10.4.3 and have come across a
repeatable condition involving a user who has a directory containing 1800+
files.  The steps to repeat it...

1. authenticate and get AFS tokens
2. restart Finder so that it "sees" the new security situation (this seems
to be a behavior of Finder in all versions of AFS)
3. with the icon-view being the current view, navigate via Finder to the
"big" directory (containing 1800+ files).
4. click on the "listing" view of finder to see all files...everything's
A-OK right now.
5. Click on the 3-column view of Finder.
6. <sniff the smoke as the kernel fries>

If you need more info, I can try to get it for you, but otherwise, this
procedure was repeated numerous times with one of our faculty.  It seems to
be related to the "big" directory, as smaller ones are quite stable for over
a week without crashing.

-Jeff. :)

--  University of Michigan Department of Mathematics  --
Jeff Kopmanis,  Supervisor and Javelin Catcher,  Math IT
B736 East Hall, 530 Church St, Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1043
Office: 734-615-6038      http://www.umich.edu/~kopmanis