[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Kinit odd behavour

Jim Brown jhbrown@stanford.edu
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:03:38 -0800

Normal kinit behavior when executed in terminal.app is to request the=20
password of the currently logged in user unless a userid is included.=20
All very interactive.

I discovered that if I create a tiny realbasic application that does=20
nothing more than execute a shell and run kinit that the KFM login=20
window is displayed with the currently logged in user and the default=20
realm instead of a terminal window. The authentication process completes=20
successfully.

At first glance this looks really handy but since I don't understand the=20
connection between kinit and KFM I am concerned that this might just be=20
a bug in one or the other that gets fixed someday thus breaking whatever=20
form I implement it in.

This is all very curious. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

--=20

...Regards

=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=
=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7
Jim Brown
Stanford University
650-723-3354