[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: port-darwin digest, Vol 1 #351 - 1 msg

Henry B. Hotz hotz@jpl.nasa.gov
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:01:45 -0800

On Feb 11, 2006, at 3:15 PM, port-darwin-request@openafs.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:03:38 -0800
> From: Jim Brown <jhbrown@stanford.edu>
> To: port-darwin@openafs.org
> Subject: [OpenAFS-port-darwin] Kinit odd behavour
>
> Normal kinit behavior when executed in terminal.app is to request
> the=20
> password of the currently logged in user unless a userid is
> included.=20
> All very interactive.
>
> I discovered that if I create a tiny realbasic application that
> does=20
> nothing more than execute a shell and run kinit that the KFM login=20
> window is displayed with the currently logged in user and the
> default=20
> realm instead of a terminal window. The authentication process
> completes=20
> successfully.
>
> At first glance this looks really handy but since I don't
> understand the=20
> connection between kinit and KFM I am concerned that this might
> just be=20
> a bug in one or the other that gets fixed someday thus breaking
> whatever=20
> form I implement it in.
>
> This is all very curious. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

This is, in general, expected behavior on the Mac.  It's possible
that they could change the way they distinguish between terminal and
GUI applications, but I don't know.

The place to ask this question is on krbdev@mit.edu.

----