[OpenAFS-port-darwin] afs client startup on intel macs

Nicholas Riley njriley@uiuc.edu
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:49:26 -0500

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:43:50AM +1200, Keith Johnston wrote:
> 	I have a couple of users with either core duo or core 2 duo iMacs
> and they have noticed that their openafs clients are not starting up
> when their machine starts or is rebooted. This seems to be happening
> with both openafs 1.4.1 on the core duo and openafs 1.4.2fc4 on the
> core 2 duo.
> 	The users can manually start it from /Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS/
> OpenAFS, but I am wondering if there is something I am missing here.

The problem may be that OpenAFS is trying to start before the network
is up, if you aren't using -dynroot.  It seems launchd is broken so it
doesn't evaluate dependencies, so whatever you put in
StartupParameters.plist doesn't matter.  We worked around it by
switching to -dynroot for our standard configuration, even on machines
with full-time network connections.

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>