[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Mystery Problem with directories on Tiger

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:38:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 11:33 PM -0400 3/18/07, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>
>>> First I installed 1.4.2.  As mentioned in documentation, I hit the
>>> issue where the installer says "You cannot continue. There is nothing
>>> to install." So, I removed the OpenAFS package receipt, and I think I
>>> also ran the un-installer.  I was then able to install okay, but the
>>
>> The uninstaller uses the receipt...
>
> Well, what I should have said was that *either* I removed the packages,
> *or* I ran the uninstaller.  I think the documentation mentioned both
> options, and I don't remember which one I did.

Ok.

> Hmm.  Thinking about it some more, I suspect that I ran the uninstaller.
> One thing I noticed was that I lost everything in /var/db/openafs/etc,
> for instance.  I have a custom CellServDB and the slightly customized
> afsd.options, and after installing 1.4.2 I had to recreate those.  I
> had to recreate ThisCell, too.  I assume that would not have been
> necessary if I had only removed the receipts.

True. I suppose we should look at making the uninstaller able to keep
customization, but right now it's a "scorched earth" uninstaller.

> The run of my ruby script finished on my intel-based Mac-mini.  It
> checked almost 200,000 directories, found 2067 AFS volumes, and all of
> those AFS volumes worked fine.  No getcwd() problems.

Ok. Can you produce the getcwd problem with 1.5 on that machine?