[OpenAFS-port-darwin] startup cache scan hang

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Mon, 28 May 2007 23:06:15 -0400

At 3:17 PM -0500 5/27/07, Nicholas Riley wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone seen OpenAFS hang on startup, seemingly during a cache
>scan?  I experienced hangs on over 50% of our machines after both
>recent security updates - even after waiting 15 minutes or more, /afs
>doesn't mount.

I had one problem with OpenAFS hanging on startup. It happened when
I was *downgrading* from 1.5.<mumble> to 1.4.<latest> of the day.
In my case, I rebooted in single-user mode, and removed the entire
cache directory.  (I forget if I re-created it after removing it,
or if I just let openafs recreate it).

I haven't seen any hang problem since then.  I'm running openafs
on two powerPC machines and one Mactel machine.