[OpenAFS-port-darwin] consideration about Openafs installation

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:50:19 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Claudio Bisegni wrote:

> Hi to all group,
> i' was thinking about installation on openafs on mac, now the installer put
> the startup script that launch all part of openafs kernel extension and /afs
> mount operation.

It did so before, too.

> can we considering the idea to install kernel extension directly on default
> path, and let system load it at startup time, and manage the mount of /afs
> volume according to user default choice(i think about AFSCommander could
> allow user to choiche automount or not).

It used to be we could do this. Things changed 10.3->10.4. Before, at
start you'd run afsd -nomount, then mount later. Currently, you either
start it, or not. Until I fix a bug in the shutdown which leaks resources
it's not safe to unload AFS, which is what you need to do (load module,
run afsd, or umount, stop afsd, unload the module), because in the
memcache case you leak memory. As it happens I hope to fix that bug today
or over the weekend, but, basically, this is not as simple as you propose.

> What do you think about that?

Why does it matter? With dynroot, there's no AFS traffic unless you try to
use it.

In 10.5 the situation gets even murkier for the reason I am about to post.