[OpenAFS-port-darwin] 1.6.0pre4 uninstall.command - "uninitialized $bomroot"

Arthur Prokosch arthurp@csail.mit.edu
Fri, 27 May 2011 16:12:50 -0400

[I tried to create this via the RT guest account, but managed only to
create an empty ticket...]

While doing some unrelated testing of 1.6.0pre4, I needed to reinstall
OpenAFS on Macs running 10.6 a few times. I was trying to use the
uninstall script packaged with OpenAFS-1.6.0pre4-Snowleopard.dmg for
Mac OS 10.6, and got:

Uninstalling OpenAFS package:
Removing package org.openafs.OpenAFS.pkg
Use of uninitialized value $bomroot in substitution (s///) at
/Volumes/OpenAFS/Uninstall.command line 137.
Use of uninitialized value $bomroot in concatenation (.) or string at
/Voluments/OpenAFS/Uninstall.command line 147, <LSBOM> line 1.
[continue to uninstall.command line 147, <LSBOM> line 1069.]
[continue with uninstall.command line 161, <LSBOM> lines 2..86.]

This is repeatable on multiples machines running both 32-bit and
64-bit kernels -- first attempting to uninstall 1.4.14.1 using the
1.6.0pre4 uninstaller and aborting when I saw that message, then twice
when uninstalling 1.6.0pre4 to try reinstalling.  In all cases I
rebooted after running the script, then manually nuked /var/db/openafs
{~,}/Library/{LaunchAgents,PreferencePanes,Preferences}/it.infn.*
before reinstalling.  The behavior only occurs when some version of
OpenAFS is already installed -- when no OpenAFS client was installed,
it completed quietly.

I've got too much of a headache to follow the perl to determine what
part of the logic is breaking down, but I have a test machine that
boots both 32-bit and 64-bit if it's needed for replicating the issue.

Thanks,
-arthur.