[OpenAFS-port-darwin] How to set encryption by default on OS X

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:12:09 -0400

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Arthur Prokosch <arthurp@csail.mit.edu> wr=
ote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 04:35:39PM -0400, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>
>> Ideally, adding a toggle for it in the Prefs Pane as well, at the same
>> time, since
>> this is no more configurable than what exists now, it's just
>> different.
>
> I've found the PrefPane exceedingly fragile -- the GUI does not
> display or reflect error conditions, and any error seems to bring the
> pane into a state where checkboxes appear to function normally but no
> further system configuration changes take place.

that's because the GUI runs as you, and needs a root helper to do its work.
because it's asynchronous, there are cases where it does the wrong thing.

> Are there plans in place to improve this situation? =A0I'm hesitant to
> add more ways for things to fail and confuse, and do not know enough
> about mac gui programming or prefpanes to lead a charge to improve the
> code.

--=20
Derrick