[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] what's the status on afs port-freebsd?

sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:42:42 -0500

I've started work in an openafs port to netbsd; when I have something
to share, I'll share it..

> > Does anyone know what happened to John Kohl's NetBSD port?  I have been
> > thinking that this would have been a good place to start, if there
> > weren't too many legal issues.
> Well, there would be both legal and practical issues here. That port was
> based on AFS 3.3, and the kernel code has been extensively rearranged
> since then. The only thing that is legally distributable is stuff
> derived from IBM's openafs-1.0 distribution (or stuff not derived from
> afs at all, of course).
>
> I still don't know how the new *bsd ports are going to deal with the
> "AFS doesn't use getnewvnode() except on DUX, and DUX is special"
> problem.

The NetBSD port uses the NetBSD getnewvnode() and includes an
adaptation layer between the BSD4.4 VFS/vnode layer and the AFS code
which is either new work or is derived from NetBSD code rather than
proprietary AFS code, and is under a BSD license.  springing that free
of AFS 3.3a is easy.

Rearraning the code to fit into the new source tree arrangement is
more work..

						- Bill