[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] How to build for 4.x?

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:10:08 -0400

I've got the kernel module close to building for FreeBSD 5.0 but I have a
problem that I hope someone here can help with.

Obviously I don't want to break compatibility with FreeBSD 4.x, so I am
having people test my code on 4.x.  But it doesn't build, never has (for me)
and I don't understand how it is supposed to work.

As far as I can tell, the problem is this rule in
libafs/MakefileProto.FBSD.in:

libafs:	$(LIBAFSNONFS)

This rule gives a dependency but no build rule for libafs.  So the default
make rule just does a "${CC} -o $* $<" which of course fails.

OpenBSD had the same problem and I solved it by adding a null build rule:

libafs:	$(LIBAFSNONFS)
	ls -l libafs.o

Have I missed something?  How do people build the FreeBSD kernel module?