[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Any one compiled OpenAFS1.4.2fc3 on freeebsd6.1

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:28:33 -0400

and Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> replied:

> The FreeBSD client is not reliable.  I have fixed the Readme to say this.
>
> I doubt you will get asetkey to work on FreeBSD.  It's not something you
> need every day, so I recommend you just run it somewhere else.
>
> You might find aklog useful if you are using MIT.  At one time it built on
> FreeBSD.  I don't know if it still does.
>
> There shouldn't be anything else you need from --with-krb5.

If you run asetkey from a different machine, make sure it's
the same byte sex.  The keyfile has machine endian integers
inside of it, so won't work without byte swapping if you move it.
Somewhere around I have a perl script that will swap the bytes,
but I don't seem to have it handy.

The problems you ran into with asetkey are most likely due to
providing the wrong flavor of kerberos; presumably heimdal instead
of mit.  If you feel very experimental, you might try this patch:
	/afs/umich.edu/group/itd/build/mdw/tmp/afs-setkey.patch
You'll need to find some way to set USING_HEIMDAL (you could
just add "#define USING_HEIMDAL 1" at the start of asetkey.c)
[ this comes from diffs for rxk5 against 1.5.8 which of course doesn't
directly need asetkey, but does need to be more portable to different
flavors of kerberos 5.  Probably it will "just work" for you - but who
knows? ]

The parts you will most likely run into problems with on freebsd
are (1) the fileserver, and (2) the cache manager.  The fileserver
depends a bit on native filesystem semantics.  With namei, those
dependendencies are much less -- in theory, things should "just
work".  Since the cache manager knows a lot about the kernel, this
is much more problemmatical.  A freebsd afs db server (without file
service) is very likely to just work.

				-Marcus