[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Any one compiled OpenAFS1.4.2fc3 on freeebsd6.1

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:42:04 -0400

<<On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:28:33 -0400, Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> said:

> The parts you will most likely run into problems with on freebsd
> are (1) the fileserver, and (2) the cache manager.  The fileserver
> depends a bit on native filesystem semantics.  With namei, those
> dependendencies are much less -- in theory, things should "just
> work".

The fileserver worked just fine in early 1.2 days when I bootstrapped
the csail.mit.edu cell on a FreeBSD machine.  I don't know that the
cache manager has ever worked on modern (>= 4.x) FreeBSD systems.  (In
the past I've run Arla on FreeBSD clients, but it is now also broken.
I believe Arla's problems are much more easily fixable than OpenAFS's
problems when it comes to the client implementation,[1] but Arla does not
include working administrative utilities [vos is a particulart
problem, as many important volume operations are implemented primarily
on the client side] so both implementations are probably necessary in
the near term.)

-GAWollman

[1] Mostly because Arla's client architecture requires less contortion
to fit in a modern kernel.  Much more of OpenAFS's client
functionality is implemented in kernel space.