[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Status of the OpenAFS Port to FreeBSD?

Tim Gustafson tjg@soe.ucsc.edu
Wed, 19 May 2010 08:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the reply!  I'm not looking to get into anything unstable at this point, but I'd love to hear about the project when it becomes ready for testing.  Thanks!

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@soe.ucsc.edu
831-459-5354

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Kaduk" <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "Tim Gustafson" <tjg@soe.ucsc.edu>
Cc: port-freebsd@openafs.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:19:39 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Status of the OpenAFS Port to FreeBSD?

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Tim Gustafson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the status of the OpenAFS port to FreeBSD was?  I
> tried Googling around about it and wasn't able to find much current
> (within the last year or so) data about it.

Hi Tim,

There is some active work ongoing to bring the FreeBSD port of OpenAFS up
to speed --- the current git head compiles and loads on recent FreeBSD,
but it is not really usable.  Under some circumstances, it can be useful
for the auxilliary utilities such as bos, vos, pts and friends, but use
for file access (eventually) results in hangs at best, and occasionally
system panics.

The waters are somewhat dangerous, but if you wish to tread further, I'll
point you at some hackish packaging around openafs git head that I've
pulled together:
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/kaduk/freebsd/openafs/openafs-devel.shar.txt
Run 'sh openafs-devel.shar.txt' in /usr/ports/net/ , and then you can 'cd
openafs-devel && make && make install'.

When things start to get to a usable state, I'll be sure to send something
to this list.

-Ben Kaduk