[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Client deadlock?

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:49:54 -0400

<<On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:42:52 -0400 (EDT), Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> said:

> A couple quick checks before really digging in: how
> big is the cache, and how much data is bonnie++ trying to slug around?

cacheinfo:

/afs:/var/cache/openafs:1500000

(of course, it's really using memcache).  I believe bonnie++ when left
to its own devices uses twice the system memory, so that would be 24
GB.  But I'm not sure how far it's actually getting; on the server
side, Bonnie's temporary file appears to be zero-length.

> I also assume you don't have inaccurate entries for the realm in question
> in your CellServDB, but active confirmation is good.

On the same file server I've run postmark and a simple file
creation/deletion microbenchmark multiple times with no issues (other
than the abysmally slow read performance which seems to be common to
all clients).  postmark loads up the server quite nicely, so I'm
puzzled as to what bonnie++ is doing that kills it.  I haven't tried
doing something trivial like "dd".

-GAWollman