[OpenAFS-port-netbsd] [gendalia@iastate.edu: Re: OpenAFS and NetBSD]

Lord Clark Frazier Hale I xlark@sdf.lonestar.org
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:08:16 +0000

----- Forwarded message from "Tracy J. Di Marco White" <gendalia@iastate.edu> -----

To: Lord Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>
cc: clark-hale@nc.rr.com
Subject: Re: OpenAFS and NetBSD
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:52:17 CST
From: "Tracy J. Di Marco White" <gendalia@iastate.edu>

In message <20050116230638.GA22161@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG>, Lord Clark Frazier Hale I writes:
}Hello,
}
}You'll have to excuse me for bypassing the port-netbsd list, but you seem
}to be the only one who knows what you're talking about.

Thanks!

I like using the list, because then when I reply more people know what's
going on... If you want to forward this to either netbsd-users@NetBSD.org
or port-netbsd@OpenAFS.org I have no objections, and it may get other
people to come out of the woodwork who are more knowledgable than I am.

}I am interested in using NetBSD for an AFS server, but have run into walls
}at almost every turn.

I've got a pair of them on i386 for work, and am ordering a few more.
I've also got my own cell set up at home.

One of my co-workers put together a page on it, with a little input from
me.

http://www.madscientistresearch.net/ProjectList/ProjectNorton/AfsOnNetBSD

}Is there anything I can do to help?  I'm not really a coder, but I could
}test (I've got i386 and m68k NetBSD boxen) or make a webpage describing
}setup, &c (perhaps to stir some intrest).

The server works great.  The client (OpenAFS) doesn't work so well,
but I'm using arla to provide client access right now.  There's some
work being done on OpenAFS for OS X that they suspect will make the
client on NetBSD easier to finish, but I'm not knowledgable enough
yet to make the client work.

The one problem on the server right now is that the pthreaded
fileserver doesn't shut down properly when bosserver tells it
to.  The easy work around is to run the LWP fileserver instead,
but then, of course, you don't get the benefits of pthreads.
I've filed a bug report on this with the OpenAFS bug tracker,
but I'm not sure if it's an OpenAFS or a NetBSD bug.

}thanks much,

I hope this helps.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Academic Information Technologies