[Port-solaris] Re: Building OpenAFS-1.6.0 on Oracle Solaris 11 1111 fails

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:55:30 -0600

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 16:40:01 +0100 (CET)
Ulrich Pralle <Ulrich.Pralle@tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> The compilation stops at openafs-1.6.0/src/sys/glue.c:
>
> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc  -I/export/openafs-1.6.0/src/config -I/export/openafs-1.6.0/include -I. -I. -dy -Bdynamic  -c ./glue.c
> "./glue.c", line 125: warning: implicit function declaration: _IOW
> "./glue.c", line 125: syntax error before or at: struct
> cc: acomp failed for ./glue.c
> *** Error code 2
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `glue.o'
> Current working directory /export/openafs-1.6.0/src/sys

Should be fixed by
http://git.openafs.org/?p=openafs.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=5a2081ee04edc4944157b908200c3996a962edd1

But you've already worked around it.

> Compilation then succeeds with some annoying warnings (and kdump.c
> cannot be compiled).  Loading the kernel module libafs.nonfs.o fails
> with
>
>  unix: [ID 819705 kern.notice] /kernel/drv/sparcv9/afs: undefined symbol
>  unix: [ID 826211 kern.notice]  'afs_vcount'
>  unix: [ID 819705 kern.notice] /kernel/drv/sparcv9/afs: undefined symbol
>  unix: [ID 826211 kern.notice]  'afs_cacheStats'
>  unix: [ID 472681 kern.notice] WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'afs'

This I can't debug easily unless I have a system to fiddle with.
afs_vcount is unconditionally defined in afs_vcache.o, and if you don't
have afs_vcache.o you're missing a ton of other stuff, too. (Same goes
for afs_cacheStats/afs_dcache.o)

> After fiddling about with src/libafs/Makefile.common.in, the linkage
> of libafs.{nonfs,}.o succeeds with all afs-symbols resolved:

This is _all_ you changed? The only thing I can see that that does is
add optimization, which shouldn't have much effect. It's possible for
symbol references to be optimized away, but I don't see how the
reference in afs_daemons.o can be removed; we need that value.

> I believe, I'm missing some required Solaris 11 packages to
> successfully compile and run OpenAFS-1.6.0.

No, you're probably just the first person to try running the client on
Solaris 11 sparc. I don't have any sparc boxes with 11 on them (though
that will probably change soon enough), so I can't really help you for
now unless you're offering me root access on such a machine of your own
that I can mess around with.

> Any clues ?
>
> If it helps, I can provide a buildslave.

That would be a great help. This page has some information on how to get
started with that: <http://wiki.openafs.org/AFSLore/BuildbotSlaveHowto/>

The buildbot admin it mentions that you would want to contact I believe
is still Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>. How fast would the
box be able to complete a full build of the OpenAFS tree?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net