[Port-solaris] Re: Network availability during shutdown

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:08:10 -0500

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 17:36:08 -0600
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> Recently I've become aware that Solaris does not seem to like it when
> OpenAFS tries to access the network during reboot/halt/poweroff. That
> is, when the fs is unmounted during uadmin() -> kadmin() ->
> vfs_unmountall() codepath, AFS kernel code cannot access the net.

To clear this up a bit, there's no kernel code that does anything like
this (e.g. explicitly taking the net down during a shutdown sequence).
The VM I was using has an interface handled by DHCP, and it gets taken
down when dhcpagent is killed with TERM. And the 'reboot' command tries
to kill ~everything with TERM before calling uadmin(). If there exists
an interface that is statically assigned an IP, this doesn't happen.

I still find it a little odd that sosendmsg doesn't give us an error
when there are no applicable routes available, but this should be much
easier to look at now that I know I don't need the kernel in the uadmin
syscall to reproduce what's going on.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net