[Port-solaris] Re: Network availability during shutdown

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:42:20 -0500

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:16:33 -0400
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I still find it a little odd that sosendmsg doesn't give us an error
> > when there are no applicable routes available, but this should be
> > much easier to look at now that I know I don't need the kernel in
> > the uadmin syscall to reproduce what's going on.
>
> i think previously we looked for such an error, so rx could get the
> "instant timeout" it has on linux, macos, windows... and hadn't found
> one.
> it would be a simple matter to address if we could get one.

connect() does issue an immediate failure, though. If we
soconnect();soconnect(NULL); before the sosendmsg(), we get an
ENETUNREACH right away. Or if that's too much overhead we could just
check every N sends, or only during certain conditions or something
(e.g. during AFS shutdown).

Or we could look at the interface list or route list a la NetIfPoller()
and try to determine outselves how available the net is during shutdown,
but ew. Probably not worth the effort.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net