[AFS3-std] DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb@slac.stanford.edu
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 16:53:51 -0700

> Ultimately, there's some interesting things that can be done with load
> balancing if TTLs are obeyed, thus the question.

Note that in practice a number of ISP's will "adjust" the TTL
on their caching DNS servers, regardless of what the original
TTL is(*).  And when there are multiple levels of DNS caching,
the practical TTL may end up being longer.  TTLs can be
used as hints, but they may not be what you think they are,
or what you think they should be (in a localized enterprise
you may have more control of the DNS infrastructure, but
when it hits the Internet, many bets are off).

Gary

(*) Not that I would point a finger at a large legacy
    dialup provider, nor a large cable company.