[AFS3-std] DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:16:10 -0700

Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> writes:

>> Per call is probably better in some sense, but I don't think it's
>> sufficiently better to require implementations do it.

> In what sense?

It's better load balancing than having each client latch on to a
particular server and use only that server for a period of time.  If you
do the latter, you can end up getting unlucky and having all of your
clients hammer a single server.

Of course, the VLDB is a light enough service that this is probably not
really an issue.

> Debugging is easier if it doen NOT randomize for every call.

Debugging is what manual fs setserverprefs is for, among other things.