[AFS3-std] DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:22:51 -0700

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> Not entirely true.  Neither we nor AFS implementations operate in a
> complete vacuum.  In fact, the correct behavior for clients using AFSDB
> records was defined in RFC1183, back in 1990; it is not undefined just
> because this group hasn't yet spoken on it.  Similarly for handling of
> TTL's on DNS RR's, which is specified by STD13, an Internet Standard.

To add to this specific point in this case, it's my intention, once we've
hammered out this draft, to ask that it be published as an RFC, possibly
even standards-track, since I would like to deprecate AFSDB records for
AFS VLDB server location and the document that currently specifies them is
standards-track.  In order to properly deprecate them, we therefore need a
standards-track RFC.

If need be, we can publish a separate, very short standards-track RFC that
just deprecates them, and keep this document separate.  But I'd rather not
do that.

This will, of course, require discussion with the IETF ADs, since normally
individual submissions aren't standards-track.  I'm holding off on that
discussion until after we've finalized what we want to say from an AFS
protocol perspective.