[AFS3-std] DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:31:50 -0400

--On Monday, October 05, 2009 05:22:51 PM -0700 Russ Allbery
<rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> To add to this specific point in this case, it's my intention, once we've
> hammered out this draft, to ask that it be published as an RFC, possibly
> even standards-track, since I would like to deprecate AFSDB records for
> AFS VLDB server location and the document that currently specifies them is
> standards-track.  In order to properly deprecate them, we therefore need a
> standards-track RFC.

I thought that, too.  But it turns out that 1183 is experimental.
Still, given what it is, it probably wants to be published as an RFC and
possibly reviewed in DNSEXT, though in practice they probably don't care.

> This will, of course, require discussion with the IETF ADs, since normally
> individual submissions aren't standards-track.

I don't think that will be a problem.  It's becoming more commonplace to
handle things as individual IETF contributions that are straightforward
enough not to require spinning up a WG, even for standards-track documents.
Of course, it'll require a four-week last call, but I don't expect finding
a sponsor will be a problem.

-- Jeff