[AFS3-std] Re: Review/Comments Extended Callback Information Draft

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:52:43 -0400

--On Thursday, October 08, 2009 04:32:57 PM -0400 "Matt W. Benjamin"
<matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> What concerns me is the prospect of the XCB draft needing to anticipate
> design decisions that should be left to their authors, in their good
> time.  One of the ways we'll measure the success of our process is that
> it can come to closure efficiently on proposals that come before it.  It
> won't be efficient if we allow time dilation to create entanglements
> between proposals that should have been independent.

This is a determination that can and should be made by the group on a
case-by-case basis.  What would be the point of defining an "old" XCB, and
then revving all of its RPC's to use 64-bit 100ns time, when in practice
the changes will be deployed at the same time and so no one will ever use
the "old" XCB RPC's?

-- Jeff