[AFS3-std] RPC Refresh

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:15:41 +0100

As discussed in Edinburgh, I'm going to put together a document
describing the protocol changes that we intend on making as part of
the RPC refresh effort. A number of people have volunteered to
contribute sections to this document - this is a plea for content, and
an outline of the format I would like.

For each change, I would like one or more paragraphs outlining:
   *) The nature of the change
   *) The justification for it
   *) How existing clients/servers which implement the new RPCs, but
not the necessary backend infrastructure should handle data in the new
form (For example, in the case of 64bit time, this would detail how
32bit time is translated to 64bit, what to do with the loss of
precision, any values that are errors, and so on)

I'd also like an indication of the structures and RPCs that are
changed by the proposal, such that I can draft new RPCL to describe
them.

I believe the following people have promised me text:

Jeffrey Altman: 64bit time, 64bit FIDs
Christof Hanke: rxosd changes : 'No of files in Volume' quota,
osdPolicy, DataAccessProtocol in FetchStatus
Alistair Ferguson: Volume Last update time in FetchStatus

The following are currently unclaimed:

*) 64bit volume quota and block sizes
*) Per file semantics for FetchACL and StoreACL
*) Extend ACLs to use 32 access bits
*) Cleanup FetchStatus

Volunteers to provide text for these would be greatly appreciated.

If you're going to write something for me, can I have it by the end of
October?

Thanks,

Simon.