[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Win2k fix

Stephen Bailey bailey@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:01:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi.  Last week I posted a message to this list about a
"server not available" problem I had on Win2K but not on WinNT.
Kudos to Steffen Luitz who diagnosted the problem and provided
a solution.  For the record, excerpts from his solution are below:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 11:08:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Steffen Luitz <luitz@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
To: Stephen John Bailey <bailey@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: OpenAFS & Win2k

OpenAFS uses getservbyname("kerberos") to obtain the UDP port for the
kerberos service. Under NT this returns 750 (the kerberos 4 port) while
under Win2k it returns 88 (the kerberos 5 port #).  Port 88 is blocked in
the SLAC firewall.

A workaround is to edit the "services" file on Win2k in
c:/winnt/system32/drivers/etc/services so that "kerberos" will be
associated with port 750:

Change the lines

kerberos	88/tcp	krb5 kerberos-sec	#Kerberos
kerberos	88/udp	krb5 kerberos-sec	#Kerberos

kerberos5 	88/tcp  krb5 kerberos-sec       #Kerberos
kerberos5	88/udp  krb5 kerberos-sec       #Kerberos

and add a line

kerberos	750/udp

This made it work for me. It might break other applications using
kerberos, but I am not aware of any ...

A better way of fixing this would be to recompile OpenAFS with
getservbyname("kerberos") in user_nt.c replaced by
getservbyname("kerberos-iv" )