[OpenAFS] 'vos dump VOLUME.backup' locks VOLUME, not VOLUME.backup!

Derek Atkins derek@ihtfp.com
17 May 2002 09:44:49 -0400

Turbo,

One problem in your script is that you only "vos backup" the first
time.  The second time you try to dump a volume you do NOT "vos
backup".

That is a bug.  You want to "vos backup" every time you run through
the script!  Otherwise you will never dump current data.  The reason
for my saying this is that the backup volume (created by vos backup or
vos backupsys) is just a volume clone made at the time.  As the user
changes data, the backup volume will maintain the original state at
the time of the backup.  So, you want to freshen the backup volume
before you dump it.

Another bug in your script is that you shouldn't need the -server and
-partition fields for the backup volume.  You should be able to just
use:
        vos dump "$volume".backup -file $BACKUPFILE

This combination might be affecting you.

-derek