[OpenAFS] newbie questions

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:57:19 -0500

Papp Tamás wrote:
> Lars Schimmer wrote:
>>> - there is one partition, which is the root.cell and root.afs (do I say
>>> well, are them same?)
>>>

>> No, one is /afs and one is the "root" of your cell, in my case root.afs
>> is /afs and root.cell is /afs/cgv.tugraz.at.
> Well, good to know, of course it's logical way, if I think on it..
>

>> Hi!
>>
>> If possible, try to disable the crypto option for the client.
>> Without crypto I reach 30-50 MB/sec on gbit network (which is limited
>> mostly by the client hardware).
>>
> Well it sounds good, but I don't find, how can I disable it?
>> Each fileserver could host up to 256(?) partitions /vicep(a-zz).
>> Just add a new partition /vicepb and add it to the filserver and restart
>> OpenAFS fileserver.
>>
> ... and how to add a new partition, exactly that's my question. I've
> tried it with vos create..., but I think I miss something.
> I searched the whole internet, but no luck, everywhere is full with
> 'set up openafs', but not with adding a new fileserver:)
Try this:
1. install new drive
2. partition & mkfs on new drive
3. mount new partition as /vicepb
4. bos restart -server my.server.name -all
5. vos partinfo -server my.server.name   # should show vicepb now
6. vos create -server  my.server.name -part b -name my.volume --maxquota
1000 -verbose
step 6 is optional. vos create or vos move should honor the new drive now.

Note: only servers and partitions with active volumes on them show in
"vos listvldb"

Jason