[OpenAFS] New OpenAFS website proposal.

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:55:49 -0500

In re plone vs this-that-the-other, Xwiki vs. Ywiki, etc -

I am a strong proponent of the volunteers having final say on the =
toolset. Others can and should express their opinions, but after a =
reasonable period of time (days or weeks, not months) the volunteers =
should get final decision unless the Elders stand up and override.

That said, my opinions --

I have no qualifications to even have an opinion on plone vs any other =
content management system.

The proposed site, even at first construction, looks more attractive =
than the current site.

Big strong opinion: Git. I like git. If content can be =
managed/controlled easily with git, it's a win.

Not quite as strong an opinion: Gerrit. I like gerrit. If the site =
maintainer likes it well enough to manage submissions thru it, fine. If =
not, that's fine too.

Conversely, I think neither git nor gerrit should be required of folks =
submitting things to the site. IMHO the site manager should be willing =
to accept patches, files, etc, IF the submission is useful enough to be =
worth the effort. The site manager should have the near-final decision =
on this, subject only to the elders.

An aside re git/gerrit and large site contributions: if we did go with =
git and maybe gerrit, the Elders ought to suggest firmly that =
contributors learn to use the tools. The source code writeup for this in =
the afs wiki is pretty good; only minor mods would be needed to do the =
same for the web site.

Moderate opinion: I found the sample newsletter posted on the site to be =
difficult. A table of contents is preferable to a long string of links =
that you have to follow to. Lacking same, one can only wonder if there's =
an entry on one's own personal interest in there somewhere.

Performance: do we ever get a lot of traffic? Performance looks =
perfectly fine to me.

Steve