[OpenAFS] OpenAFS client 1.7.201 and later triggers printing of smiley faces on all printers shared via Samba

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:08:38 -0400

--------------enigD731BFB69C7387F45EFFAB68

Michael:

The problem is triggered by the AFS Context Menu handler.
When testing whether or not a path is an AFS path, the AFS Context Menu
handler issues an AFS pioctl operation on the path.  The pioctl process i=
s:

 * Request that an "existing" file be opened on the device

	\\server\device-name\_._AFS_IOCTL_._

 * Write the request to that file

 * Read the response from that file

 * Close the file

The pages are being printed because the printer device is permitting the
_._AFS_IOCTL_._ to be opened and treating the data that is written to it
as a print job.

The SMB server in the printers should not be opening a file that does
not exist when the caller is explicitly asking that only an existing
file be opened.  The SMB server in the printer could be a version of
Samba or some other home grown implementation.  Regardless, it is buggy.

Of course, knowing the cause does not solve your problem which is that
you want the paper to stop being wasted.   The question is "who is going
to research a solution and implement it?"   I suspect you want that to
be me.  :-)   That is fine but I'm at the point where I want to be paid
for my efforts.

Jeffrey Altman